OVLR Challenge Crossword No. 99-3, July, 1999
Following 1998's successful Atlantic British Parts successful Challenge Crossword , Atlantic British again decided to sponsor this competition. The rules are simple. Send in you completed Crossword Puzzle to the Editor, c/o OVLR, POB 36055, 1318 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4V3. The person with the highest number of correct answers will win a US$200 gift certificate from Atlantic British Parts of Mechanicsville, New York. Second place wins US$100.00 and Third place gets US$50. Sadly, only members of OVLR are eligible for a prize!
There are two ways to play -
- Print this page, or
- Play on-line or off with the Across Lite program.
Click here to download Across Lite. This is a one-time download and a simple, two-minute install. Enjoy interactive crossword puzzles on-line or off.
© M. Jackson 1999
1. Creative Birthday Party use for Dixon's trailer (4,6)
6. Heard at the Birthday Party auction (4)
8. Series I-III suspension component (7)
9. "Pink ____"; desert apparition (7)
11. Fred's review of OVLR's books (5)
12. Abbr., the beast's USA corporate name (4)
13. Shock absorber mounting points (4)
14. "Centre-____" Series I prototype (5)
15. Nickname for Al Pilgrim's 107" (5)
16. Abbr. relevant to tire service (3)
19. Australian-made "Old Man ___" suspension bits (3)
21. Brand name on a certain "mixer" (5)
22. Obligatory "Oiler" accoutrements (5)
25. Item found in gearbox and transfer box (5,4)
26. The perfect food, especially with beer (5)
28. Annual Land Rover swapmeet in Sodbury (4,3)
29. Messrs. Brewer & Hong's Silver Lake vehicles (pl.) (7)
30. "Pre-owned", in dealer-speak (4)
31. Really boring shop tool (5,5)
2. Final stroke in a "four stroke" engine (7)
3. Convenient hitch receptacle (8)
4. Penetrating, hypoid, etc. (pl.) (4)
5. Drivetrain component (4,4)
6. Pub ale selection (6)
7. Runs-on after ignition switched off (7)
10. Propshaft service tool (6,3)
17. Term for tire tread rubber composition (8)
18. This is not "crossflow" in Series I to III (8)
20. Vulnerable items in the bush (7)
23. The Marshal's newsletter contributions (7)
24. Term for defective swivel ball surface (6)
27. Given name, British Columbia member at Silver Lake (4)
Note: While some of the clues may seem obscure, there are none that cannot be answered if you have read recent editions of the monthly newsletter. All of the "club specific" answers appear somewhere! In addition to OVLR's crosswords, Murray Jackson creates the Motor-Cross automotive crossword puzzle and the Motor Mania automotive pop quiz. These features cover all things automotive including old & new car models, automotive history, service & repair terminology, TV & movie cars and automotive personalities. Murray's features are published in the weekly automotive sections of a growing number of Canadian and U.S. newspapers. Previously-published features can be enjoyed in the Games Room at www.canadiandriver.com. These features are updated weekly so return often to test your automotive knowledge.
Click here or visit www.motor-cross.CA for information about adding Motor-Cross or Motor Mania to your publication or to purchase Motor-Cross ~ Volume 1, a compilation of Motor-Cross crosswords.