OVLR Birthday Party
June 23rd to 25th
For more than 65 years, since the Amsterdam Motor Show in 1948, Land-Rover's products have served the world and are still hailed as
masters of rough terrain travel. OVLR celebrates its Birthday since that fateful day when
local members of the Association of Land Rover Owners of Canada established a local chapter. The Birthday Party is a rather unique
event, different from many of your average rallies as seen in articles written for Land Rover World and Land Rover
The Birthday party is being organized and hosted by the oldest and largest Land Rover club in Canada, Ottawa Valley Land Rovers.
Members from the Empire Rover Owners Society and the Upper Canada Land Rover Association are also in attendance for both their
logistical and entertainment support. The event will be held near Silver Lake, Ontario, because of the geographical location being
central to the bulk of OVLR regional members as well as having some diverse terrain upon
which to host the event, (bedrock, cedars swamp, and mud). Silver Lake is located about sixty miles west of Ottawa on Highway 7. People
with an interest in Land Rovers will be coming from Quebec and Ontario and the northeastern United States to participate in activities
and share ideas, experiences and yarns. The event is open to all Land Rover Products - Land Rover, Range Rovers and
Discoveries. Owners of Rover cars and other vehicle makes are most welcome to attend and participate in the spirit of the event.
However, certain activities will be only for Land Rovers (i.e. RTV Trials, Land Rover displays.) You do not have to be a member of any club to attend and participate in the
event; however, because of insurance requirements you must be a member of OVLR to drive on the off-road.
For information on past Birthday Party's go to the OVLR - Past Events page where write-ups on the 12th, 13th, and 14th Birthday Party's are covered by various
OVLR members. The 16th Birthday Party was attended by approximately 75 Land Rovers and
more than 160 people, while the 17th topped 90 vehicles and 180 people. Lots of photos and articles (and even a Quicktime movie) of the
18th Birthday Party can be found at The 2001 OVLR Birthday Party page.
Traditionally held near Silver Lake, Perth Ontario. Established in 1984, this year marks the 33rdnd OVLR Birthday Party !
There are a variety of accommodation options available. Silver Lake Provincial Park has a number of campsites available. OVLR has
traditionaly stayed in the western portion of the park for people attending the Birthday Party. If you wish to stay in this portion of
the park (sites 1 through 42), you will need to make your reservation with Ontario Parks.
Directions and a map for finding Silver Lake
If lost while getting there: Phone TBD
The Birthday Party is traditionally held on the fourth weekend of June (around the Summer Solstice). This year
it will be held from Thursday, June 23rd through to Sunday, June 25th, 2017.
The Event Registration fee is $
per adult entitles OVLR
members to enter their vehicle in all of the activities
such as the off-road events, vehicle display and certain other activities. For more information on the Event read the infomation on the Arrival and Activities
For non-OVLR members, the fees are the same, though membership in the club is required. Non-members arriving in their own Land Rover and wishing
to drive in the RTV or off-road courses must be members. Our insururance requires this.
Payment must be received by the seventh of June in order to guarantee admission to the Birthday Party as well as take advantage of the cheaper
registration fee. Payment received after June 8th, or payment made on-site* at the event.
Note: * The Executive reserves the right to limit on-site registration, or to deny on-site registrants food due to the nature of
the catered dinner.
Don't forget you must complete your OVLR B-Day Registration Form and Merchandise Order Form
Rules and Regulations
Yes, Virginia, every event has them and here are the OVLR Birthday Party rules &
- Please leave your camp site cleaner that when you arrived. We have provided a garbage bag with your registration package. Please use your
garbage bag, recycling and garbage collection is available at the OVLR Trailer
- Although dogs are permitted, it must be clearly understood that they must be on a leash at all times and a minimum of
twenty five (25) feet away from the Club Trailer. If you are planning on off-roading do remember it is not courteous to tie your beloved pet to a
tree and leave him barking for the afternoon. This said:
- Dogs are discouraged for a number of reasons including heat, barking, and not being permitted on any of the off-road courses (who will
take care of it if you go?).
- Dogs must be kept on a short leash at all times.
- We ask that your dog does not accompany you to the kitchen trailer area during cooking or meal times. They must be kept at least twenty
five (25) feet away from the trailer at all times.
- Open fires at the event site are strictly prohibited
- We recommend that all children wear a helmet on the light off-road
- Children under ten (10) years of age are not permitted on the heavy off-road event.
- Some off-road events traverse public roads. You are reminded, the consumption of alcoholic beverages on public roads is
prohibited in Ontario. OVLR supports the responsible use of alcohol - Drive Safely
OVLR reserves the right to deny access to its off-road courses by vehicles which in the opinion of its scrutineers are unfit for off-road use or
not properly equipped to participate in off-road events.
What to bring!
Suggestions for a "Must Have List", a list of items that we strongly suggest you
pack along when you come up to the Birthday Party.
What should you do?
- Contribute ideas now or anytime
- Let your friends know of the event
- Volunteer to help with any organizing requirements - either at or prior to the event
- Participate in all facets of the event
- Bring your vehicle and show it off
- Meet and talk to other Land Rover enthusiasts
- Renew acquaintances
- CELEBRATE AND ENJOY!!
Don't forget to complete your OVLR B-Day Registration Form and Merchandise Order Form.
In Case of Emergency
Emergency Telephone service is available at the OVLR Trailer, the trailer will be located at the Main Site.
- The First Aid kit is located at the OVLR Trailer
- Fire Extinguisher is located at the OVLR Trailer
- The Expedition Trailer CB Radio operates on Channel 1
Important Telephone numbers:
Copyright Dixon Kenner, 1995-2010.
Last modified April 25th, 2013.
- Emergency 911
- Hospital 613-267-1500 Great War Memorial
Hospital, Perth ON
- Police (Non-Emergency) Sharbot Lake 613-279-2195
- Poison Info Centre 1-800-267-1373
Comments? Send mail to Dixon Kenner or Benjamin Smith